The Long Service Leave Act 2018 will come into effect on 1 November 2018 and supersede the 1992 Act.
These changes include:
- greater flexibility for women, families and people transitioning to retirement
- access to long service leave after seven years, not ten
- allowing employees to take long service leave in smaller increments (i.e. for any period of one day or more)
- most absences from work do not break continuous employment
- unpaid leave, including parental leave, counts towards long service leave
- increased penalties for employers who do not keep records or do not produce them when requested.
This website, including the Long Service Leave calculator, will be updated to reflect those changes on 1 November.
Or further information: https://www.business.vic.gov.au/hiring-and-managing-staff/long-service-leave-victoria/long-service-leave-act-2018-faqs